Re: Risks of low level radiation - New Scientist Article

From: "Jim Nelson" <nelsonjima@HOTMAIL.COM>

> Dr. Long,

> What is it about Cohen's work that you find so substantial?  Do you relaize

> all his work is ecologic in nature?

Just rhetorical 'name-calling.' Doesn't affect the quality of the results.

Small eco studies, even EPA's used for regs when it fits their political

agenda.

ALL radon studies are in part ecologic:  individual doses aren't known.

Individuals are put into "dose groups" from inaccurate residential

measurements. All the "case-control" studies are so flawed. If they were

sufficiently large they might get consistent results, but they don't because

they're so small. They produce various inconsistent, virtually random,

results.

> Even he says it can not be used to assess lung cancer risk.

Of course they can. There are hundreds of sufficiently large, independent,

studies. Bernie chooses to make the stronger, idiot-proof, case that the

studies clearly disprove the LNT.

> These studies below have far more validity than the ecologic studies

> you support.

> http://www.cheec.uiowa.edu/misc/rd_review.pdf

> http://www.cheec.uiowa.edu/misc/radon.html

No they don't. These are small studies. Some will randomly produce negative

results. Iowa is the worst state to do a study in because it has "high"

radon, throughout the state. People with low doses at home can have high

exposure elsewhere, and vice versa. You just have to consider the statistics

(and consistency) of the results, not whether a study has an arbitrary

"name." While it can be argued that a case-control study is "better" when

the study statistics are comparable, a small case-control study, when you

don't even control the most critical reason that a case-control study is

strong, the specific knowledge/control of the individual doses, can just

border on 'junk science.'

> I understand a national pooling is also underway by Lubin and others that

> may shed more light.  If you do in fact support Cohen's studies, your view

> is not shared by most epidemiologist I know.

Then you don't know many outside the LNT-funded bureaucracy. If you want to

see an actual epi analysis, see Graham Colditz's contribution to Cohen and

Colditz 1994. (Do a PubMed search on him to see his 'real' epi work.)

Unfortunately, he and other have refused to get into the "pissing contest

among pygmies" that the radon studies have become within the epi community,

and put his career at risk in the process!? (Works good to keep the

gov't-funded scientists in line.)

Jim