RE: Shipyard workers and references

Jim,

I was always worried about the health of paramecium.  Do you know if they

seek out radiation sources in the wild?

I think the comments by the authors are interesting, noting my emphases.  Do

you know if any studies were done on adding free-radicals chemically to the

growing media?

	"The data show clearly that under certain ill-defined but

reproducible conditions capable of autonomous existence are stimulated to

grow and divide by continuous exposure to very low dose rates of either

corpuscular or electromagnetic radiation of an energy."

	"At the present time one can only speculate concerning the modes of

action and sites of origin of the stimulant. An attractive and plausible

hypothesis may be based on the production of free radicals by the absorbed

energy and the stimulation by such radicals of metabolic activities. Low

doses rates would produce radicals or other reaction products in amounts

small enough to be stimulating while high dose rates would lead to toxic

concentrations of the same or other substance."

I think the RSH should seek more paramecium research efforts.

-- John

John Jacobus, MS

Certified Health Physicist

3050 Traymore Lane