RE: what is news and what is not

Jack,

The idea may not be to ensure that there are no overexposures, but to

DOCUMENT that there is not a significant radiation level in adjacent

areas.  While I agree that one survey is technically sufficient when there

are no modifications to exposure geometry or the building/room, the

investment of 5-10 minutes to document (and be seen by neighbors, etc.

performing a verification) a <0.1 mr/hr (or whatever) level beats the hell

out of the repercussions if a worker in an adjacent facility sues you when

they get cancer because you we "exposing them to deadly, hazardous (etc.,

etc.) radiation".   First the lawsuit, then the media...

I hate paperwork for paperwork's sake, but a stack of good documentation

may save you from a significant amount of stress.  A lawyer can accuse you

of all kinds of stuff if you can't prove differently.  There's always

something a lawyer can accuse you of, but you can make it less attractive

for them to pursue you.  They are probably working for a contingency ("cut"

of the "award"), and kinda like criminals, will tend to go after less well

protected targets when they figure out that you're not a easy mark.  Of

course, this changes somewhat proportionally when the potential for a

larger "score" (deeper, larger pockets) exists, but that's also straying

off topic somewhat.

I've also found that no matter how much you work with less technically

inclined people (see, I can act P.C. on occasion!), when they see you

physically "verifying" that they're "safe", you end up doing less reactive

work in the long run.  Yeah, it's politics, but if you don't, then you end

up paying more, not just in time, but stress, and stress WILL hurt YOU.

(Obviously) my own personal opinion

Brian Rees