Re: radon - documentation of exposure histories for Iowa study

Dear Don and Don, anf other rad fears,

I had the highest test scores in Epidemiology at UCB PH 40 years ago, but did not go into public health because political requirements dictated

selection. "Right" result or no more job. Familiar?

Please enlighten me:

1.Does location selection (Iowa) devalue conclusions for the rest of the USA?  Iowa females are in a 1% outlier of the earlier USA study (Cohen's)!

2. Do small numbers (431 cases) inhibit proper matching of controls?  Recommended procedure requires non-smoking cases and controls, or all smoking

cases and controls. "Adjustment" statistically has unproven assumptions, like LNT. Presumptious?

3. Do other studies support  a 0.5 -1 rem/year supplement (4x background)? Consider, a, cancer rates (less where higher background radiation), b,

nuclear worker exposure (cancer resistance and longevitybetter where > 0.5 rem extra), c. Animal wound healing, coronary surgical stent restenosis

rate, bomb survivor data, etc, show benefit  from low dose radiation.

Public health requires radiation source choice, with benefits like iodized salt choice. I am planning placebo control studies.

Howard Long