Re: stop the madness

Nobody ever predicted that an accident with TMI's consequences would not

happen.  The installation of multiple safety systems and containments was an

implicit predicition that such accidents might happen.  Any claim that

anyone stated that TMI couldn't happen is simply made up.

On the other hand, the anti-nukes promised that Chernobyl would not happen.

That promise was made when questions were asked by neutral parties about why

nuclear power needed to be stopped in the US, but not in the USSR.  The

specific answer that was given was that since nuclear power in the USSR was

not profit-driven, it was safer than US nuclear power.  Jane Fonda made that

specific statement during a TV interview.  I saw it when it was originally

televised and I saw it again a couple of years ago.  Jane was only repeating

what she had been told (that is what actors do for a living).  Prior to

seeing her interview, I had already seen the same position expressed in

writing, I believe it was in "The Nation" magazine or "The Bulletin of the

Atomic Scientists", I subscribed to both.  That was in the 1970's.  At the

time I was an anti-nuke, so I actually used the same argument a couple of

times myself in 1976.  I have to admit that I was a little dubious about the

argument, but I was trying to get the California anti-nuke ballot initiative

passed.  While this argument was being made, the Soviets were building

reactors without containments because they believed the argument themselves.

They were also building RMBKs, even though British nuclear safety experts

had told them that it had several important safety weaknesses.

For the past 50 years US nuclear power was as safe or safer than any other

common human activity.

Don Kosloff dkosloff1@msn.com

2910 Main Street, PERRY OH 44081