Re: dose limits for members of the public

In a message dated 02/12/2002 4:53:36 PM Pacific Standard Time, sandyfl@EARTHLINK.NET writes:

Consider that currently, it is a rare situation
where an occupational worker not only never exceeds this threshold, but rarely
approaches it. The only instances I've observed are for physician who conduct
interventional procedures, and they often use dose weighting factors to determine the
EDE. So, if nobody approaches the 5 rem, why would any management agree to
maintain a rad protection staff of any size > 1? Also consider that with lower dose limits,
most staffs continue to be cut by management.

Actually, the place I see overexposures most often is in operations involving unsealed alpha-emitters (i.e., internal dose situations).  I think that increasing the dose limits for members of the public without a comparable increase in limits for workers would do little to change the protections included in the regulations for the workers.

I think the place this would provide the most benefit for society (in terms of dollars spent unwisely vs. the actual risk from 25 mrem/yr) is in the decommissioning situation.

Barbara L. Hamrick