Measurement uncertainty of home radiation monitors

There have been a number of links posted to hobby-level radiation monitors on the web.

Most of the sites are equipped with inexpensive G-M radiation monitors on personal computers. They apparently have no calibration program other than the vendor's (http://www.aw-el.com/index.htm) original calibration. They use G-M tubes with mica windows, so they can be influenced by beta and alpha if that's an issue due to radon, e.g.

Examples of links recently posted in the "Colorado radiation" and related threads and others I found:
http://home.att.net/~robertson_family/radmonitor/ - Longmont, CO
http://www.metafire.com/radmonitor/index.html - Pittsburgh, PA
http://www.geocities.com/Athens/1555/backrad1.html - links
http://digistar.com/boston/
http://www.aw-el.com/nyc/

How much confidence can we have in these monitors? I'd like to think that the monitors will work fine until the tube fails and that failure will be obvious. But if that's true, why do we have to do so many calibrations and source checks on monitors in industry? (I have seen a monitor failure at a nuclear facility result in a steady 300 cpm and that was not an obvious failure. That was a G-M tube with a count rate meter and I think the fault was in the tube.)

More to the point, is the original calibration valid in the range of 5 to 20 microR/hr that is the normal reported reading? The vendor claims (below) an accuracy of +/-5%, but is imprecise in what that means (e.g. range of the monitor?). Or, should we believe that a reading of 5 microR/hr is accurate to +/- 0.25 microR/hr?!

I think that having all these monitors on-line is an interesting development, especially for the educational value. Eventually, the HPS might want to take an authoritative position on what kind of accuracy and reliability can be expected from these monitors and maybe provide links to them. It might be worthwhile to provide links to sites that reciprocate a link back to HPS. That would provide people the opportunity to give the readings the right level of credibility. It could prevent scares resulting from someone  playing with lantern mantles on his home radiation monitor.

Just some thoughts, see disclaimer below.

----- Forwarded by Mark Hogue/WSRC/Srs on 03/11/02 06:15 AM -----
"Bryan Boardman/Aware Electronics Corp." <boardmanb@aw-el.com>

03/07/02 05:29 PM
Please respond to "Bryan Boardman/Aware Electronics Corp."