Re: Indian Scientists Use Radiation to Cure Flatulence

As far as I know, packaged dried herbs and spices sold in supermarkets are irradiated, unless they are labeled otherwise.  Washington State has been packaging irradiated apple products for years.  I believe the US Army's field rations are irradiated and have been for some time.

It also occurs to me that irradiating food to lengthen its shelf life saves lots of energy, since a lot of irradiated food will keep without refrigeration.

Most of the anti-food-irradiation propaganda in our local "natural food" markets is little more than fear-mongering distortion.

Many of the arguments now used against food irradiation are similar to the arguments that were used against milk pasteurization.

Ruth Weiner, Ph. D.
ruthweiner@aol.com