Re: West Wing, et. al.

With the exception of actual real-life coverage (news, court tv,

cops, survivors and others) I hope that we assume that the prime-time

shows are fiction. Or should we assume that Baywatch accurately

portrays the lifeguards of Southern California, ER the medical

profession, and Ally McBeal the legal profession? Distortions,

distortions, one and all! Also, fiction, fiction, one and all.

There are medical dramas, political dramas, legal dramas, dramas

about government, comedies, etc. Anyone see the (now dead but not

gone) "American Embassy?" Is there anyone who believes that this show

depicts what REALLY happens in an American embassy? Distortion!

However, to your question. Implied that all carbonated drinks cause

cancer. As fiction? Implied or specifically stated?

Gee, I think that we see that now.  A movie with a kid with brain

cancer or a cancer cluster at a school caused by power lines.

I saw a Law and Order the other night that implied that a meat

producer (commercial butcher) was using day labor with little English

language ability that had (ecoli) that had resulted in a number of

deaths. Fiction? Yes. A bunch of butchers or a meat packers union

trying to say "remember, this was fiction and not 100% accurate." No,

didn't see a one.

A kid being poisoned by eating the insides of peach pits? Yes, the

fruit packers and Georgia Peach growers protesting and reminding us

"Fiction!!!" No.

An airliner (type clearly identifiable by anyone who knows a DC 10

from a 727) that has a computer failure after a lightening strike

that kills the flight crew? Yes. The manufacture of that plane and

the airline pilots union protesting because the plane selected for

the exterior shots did not have that type of computer? No. Why?

Because most people are smart enough to know that things in a drama

or medical show are not 100% correct.

Did anyone believe that a large city newspaper could be run by a

handful of reporters (Lou Grant) or that a TV station could be run by

a handful (Mary Tyler Moore)? Reality? Nay, distortion.

Has anyone ever asked an elevator repairman about the magic that

elevators do on TV? Distortion?

I do not see toxicologists raising the "its a distortion" banner for

poisons or chemicals (snake bites?) depicted as acting virtually

instantaneously.

I have never heard the legal profession rise to say  "its a

distortion" when evidence is allowed in or ruled out to make a show

more interesting. Does anyone believe that there is an attorney out

there who would be allowed to act the way "Matlock" does in court?

How often has the AMA reminded folks that the show ER is fiction and

does not show a true depiction of life in an ER. That few of those

"brought back from the brink" make it. That people are not in the ER

only while they are evaluated and then wished to an almost always

available operating room with a team ready to "do us some cutten."

When shows get it wrong for medicine I do not see the claim that some

cult of anti-medicine followers is behind it. Where is the AMA when

we need them?

When a show gets it wrong for court or legal issues I do not see the

ABA rise to call foul and "its anti-lawyers getting their message

out."

Where is the International Society of Toxicologists when we see a

magic compound released in a plane, room, etc. that virtually

immediately renders everyone unconscious, but not one person (young,

old, sick, infant, etc.) is killed. Why don't we use this stuff for

REAL hostage situations?

However, time and time again I see HPs (and "associates" in the

"nuclear business") raise the  "its a distortion" flag and the its

how "the anti-nukes get the mileage that they get."  Perhaps it is

that this nuclear stuff is just something that the folks in Hollywood

do not understand very well and that the more they know the less

interesting the show.

As I have said before, let us make life REALLY dull by trying to

force TV, movies, and books all be 100% technically accurate (unless

they are science fiction and/or in the future). The 100% accurate

rule will not be just about nuclear power , but about EVERYTHING.  We

can replace the writers of West Wing,  Law and Order, ER, and The

Simpsons with nuclear engineers, lawyers, doctors, and former

presidents (hey Bill C is out of work). Does anyone think that they

will keep their viewer share? Then how will you entertain the masses.

I suggest a very deep breath and hope that the show passes unnoticed

by as many folks as possible. OR, we can try to secure a podium from

which we can "tell the truth." However, that will only spark a debate

that may allow the anti's on any subject to have a podium from which

to shout "their truth."

Education is the answer - not argument.

Finally, we do have a professional group. The Health Physics Society.

If responses to shows that depict radiation in an unfair or

technically incorrect light are to be made, it seems that it is they

who should comment. Seen many comments from the HPS saying "remember

this was fiction."

Not ALL fiction is intentionally incorrect so as to make some

political statement or anti nuclear point. Sometimes it is just

entertainment. Usually, it is also really bad entertainment (such as

John T's "Broken Arrow").

You asked

>My question wasn't really about law. It is whether people have a right, or

>perhaps an obligation, to try and set the facts straight.

No. Those who write this stuff have no obligation to get the facts

right; however, when the facts a wrong a company or industry can take

them to court. The only place where you can force them to correct it

is court. Sometimes the sponsors can be convinced. How many sponsors

will be forcing a change to a show to satisfy the "nuclear viewers?"

Life is not fair, the law may not be fair, TV is not fair, not having

a good way to refute false information is not fair. Who can remedy

all the things in life that are unfair? Do people have a right or

obligation to try and ser the facts straight. That is a personal

decision, not a a yes or no for all.

Paul Lavely <lavelyp@uclink4.berkeley.edu>