RE: nuke navy - HMS Tireless

 By Nuclear Regulatory Commission mandate, U.S. commercial reactors employ Emergency Core Cooling

> Systems (ECCS) to protect against LOCAs. But because of space limitations

> aboard submarines, neither U.S. or foreign nuclear subs are equipped with

> this vital safety system, nor are the two nuclear submarine prototypes at

> the Kesselring Site Operation.

Dear Norm,

I know Mr. John P. Shannon is speaking out of his a_ _.  I do not know what type of grievance Mr. Shannon has with the Navy, but it only leads to discredit your stance further when you publish his misinformation on a list server with people who know the TRUTH (I know that pesky truth thing coming out again).

The cores at the Knolls Atomic Power Sight in New York, do indeed have systems designed specifically to handle a LOCA.  I know, because I trained there.

The S5W design does have systems in place to handle a LOCA also.  Unlike many civilian reactors, they have methods to isolate the core from the leaking section.  And if that fails, they have this thing that the submarine operates in, called

"THE OCEAN", I am more than sure there is enough water in "THE OCEAN" to keep the core covered.  And no it is not by melting through the bottom of the submarine, it can be pumped in.

As a footnote, the Navy also has personnel on standby incase anything like this was to happen, so they could be flown in to assist, anywhere in the world on a moments notice.

Sleep tight.

Michael D. Kent  RRPT/ss