Re: Dumb questions and comments on ecological/case studies

Dr. Cohen,

I am extremely surprised you are not aware of this.

Smoking related cancers were brought to your attention 8

years ago by Dr. Gilbert in the Health Physics Journal.

Gilbert ES. Smoking as an explanation for the negative

relationship between exposure to radon and certain types

of cancer.  Health Phys. 1994 Aug;67(2):197-8.

Prostate is not thought to be smoking related.  But

these following cancers are thought to be smoking

related to varying degrees.

Mouth and Throat Cancer, Cancer of the Stomach, Cancer

of the Pancreas and the Kidney, Uterine Cancer, Cancer

of the Cervix, Cancer of the Bladder, Cancer of the

Colon, Myeloid Leukemia

http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/00022160.htm

You also stated, the "intensity of smoking varies from

county to county."  I wasn't aware that counties smoked?

Bill Field