Re: Cohen refutation of LNT

Dear Tom,

Professor Cohen's work is very impressive to this epidemiologist and to other

scientists who have repeatedly questioned it at meetings of Doctors for

Disaster Preparedness.

Only Professor Cohen was honored by modreator Art Robinson (Linus Pauling's

co-investigator) with the ultimate compliment, "He diligently tried to prove

his hypothesis wrong"

Now with radioactivity dispersion ("dirty bomb") a realistic threat, HPs

should reassure that animal, atom bomb and ecologic studies indicate more

likelihood of benefit than harm from small amounts of radiation. Cancer fears

should be quelled by science, with only 27 breast cancers where 34 were

expected with 1- 10 rad at hiroshima and Nagasaki.

I am satisfied with the very short and consistent error bars of non-smokers

and smokers, independently, showing less lung cancer mortality in counties

having 1-4 pCi/L living area radon samplings than at <1 pCi/L, especially

since the variation in radon exposure was more than the variation in smoking

rates. Field's Iowa study and Wang's Chinese cave-dweller study were of

populations with controls having higher exposure, and could also reflect risk

for those levels, although European studies reported at Rhodes recently by

Becker suggest benefit to 500 Bq/ m3 (about 12 pCi/L).

To apply to individuals, (although sufficient to refute LNT), we need a

placebo study of a <0.5 pCi/L (deficient?) population, with supplement (from

uranium ore in house?) to monitored levels of about 3 pCi/L (and perhaps about

10 pCi/L), for certain exclusion of selection. Ask your epidemiologist friends

about that.

Howard Long