Re: The Goiania case is useful to study for simulation of a "dirty (medical) bomb"

There was another point about Goiana that I think is

very instructive.

I attended a conference at AFRRI about two years ago

where a presentation was made on Goiana.  One of the

findings they discussed was that there were a large

number of people presenting themselves at hospitals

reporting nausea, weakness, vomiting, etc. (i.e., early

stages of acute radiation syndrome).

The problem was that about 80% of these folks lived

NOWHERE NEAR the site of the event, nor were they

contaminated in any way.  So the "ARS" was actually

stress-induced illness, i.e., "the worried well."

"Worried well" represent a major issue for Dirty Bomb

scenarios. While the cause of the symptoms are primarily

psychological, they are still in need of care.  The

problem lies in how to triage the worried-well from the

actually exposed populations. It is no easy feat, and

I'm not sure I've seen any triage schemes that

adequately address this situation.

Jim Barnes, CHP

james.g.barnes@att.net