Re: Surviving a Dirty Bomb

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----

Von: William V Lipton <liptonw@DTEENERGY.COM>

An: maury <maury@WEBTEXAS.COM>

Cc: Bud Yard <Bud.Yard@state.tn.us>; mlantz33@CYBERTRAILS.COM

<mlantz33@CYBERTRAILS.COM>; loc@icx.net <loc@icx.net>;

radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu <radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu>

Datum: Mittwoch, 19. Juni 2002 13:39

Betreff: Re: Surviving a Dirty Bomb

>Current FDA guidance concludes that, "...studies following the Chernobyl

accident support the etiologic role of relatively small doses of radioiodine

in the dramatic increase in thyroid cancer among exposed children.

Furthermore, it appears that the increased risk occurs with a relatively

short latency.  Finally, the Polish experience supports the use of KI as a

safe and effective means by which to protect against thyroid cancer ..."

("Guidance - Potassium Iodide as a Thyroid Blocking Agent in Radiation

Emergencies," FDA, December 2001)

Bill, could you give a reference, where on the net I could retrieve this FDA

guidance? While it is well documented and known (and only disputed by

hardliners), that the occurrance of thyroid cancer especially in children in

the vicinity of Chernobyl exceeded the expected one by far, I do not

understand the "Polish experience". In some (relatively small) areas of

Poland KI was adminstered. These areas were not exposed to any higher Ievels

of I-131 than a large area of the "rest of Europe", including Austria, where

no KI was used. I do not know of any reports, that claim enhanced thyroid

cancer incidence in children or grown-ups in the "rest of Europe", not even

from those groups that would correspond to those of my good foe and friend

Norman Cohen.

So, can anyone enlighten me, what the "Polish experience" is? Any data? Any

facts? Any explanations?

Best regards,

Franz