Re: Rad Sources for Workshops Don't Open Smoke Dets.

Don't open smoke detectors to get the Am-241 sources out. These are

impossible to get rid of. Primus still uses thorium oxide in their mantles

(as of a couple of years ago).

Once a smoke detector is opened, it cannot be returned to the manufacturer

for disposal. The cost difference is very large; shipping for one box

(quantity doesn't matter) or disposal of transuranics.

You might try salt shaker sized containers of Lite Salt (KCl--experiment to

see if you can detect the K-40 above background).

Try Texas A&M; They may have several small sources from sets dating back in

time that are still active, but long out of use for calibration purposes. I

am still using some sources from the 1950 - 1975 period. The sets are not

complete, but the Cs-137, Sr-90, and some others are still active. There may

also be some old Ra sources around, and maybe from geology (even at your

local colleges) uranium ore, yellowcake, or pitchblende.