Re: EPRI study: reactor containment protects against 76

"Only in America will we debate every detailed point ...."

The above extraction is in fact a key distinction between the foundations of the United States and the underpinnings, such as they are, for a number of other societies. Drawing lines to differentiate free debate from security needs is not easy, but if we will not declare a state of war, then I see no reasonable

way to (attempt to?) impose a wide-ranging series of wartime restraints on our society.

It is apparent every day that "they" have succeeded rather well at identifying our vulnerabilities. How else might one account for the everyday gyrations of our federal government?

An open society policy has served us well for most of two centuries and that policy still seems to me to be the better way to proceed unless and until we decide to get serious about this present Baby Powder War. The other side obviously is not devoid of scientists and engineers. We generally cannot even read

and speak their languages, but they sure do a bang up job with English -- thanks in part to our own willingness to admit them here indiscriminately for education, training and whatever other purposes they might have. And then we do not even attempt to enforce our own rules for admission and residence.

I believe the nuclear power plants will be just fine -- there are nearly an infinite number of more attractive and obvious vulnerabilities. Is that secret? I think not.

Maury Siskel           maury@webtexas.com

It is the soldier, not the lawyer, who has given us the right to

a fair trial.                                Charles M. Province