Do low dose-rate bystander effects influence domestic radon risks?

Int J Radiat Biol 2002 Jul;78(7):593-604

Do low dose-rate bystander effects influence domestic

radon risks?

Brenner DJ, Sachs RK.

Center for Radiological Research, Columbia University,

630 West 168th Street, New York, NY 10032, USA.

PURPOSE: Radon risks derive from exposure of bronchio-

epithelial cells to high-linear energy transfer (LET)

alpha-particles. alpha-particle exposure can result in

bystander effects, where irradiated cells emit signals

resulting in damage to nearby unirradiated bystander

cells. This can result in non-linear dose-response

relations, and inverse dose-rate effects. Domestic radon

risk estimates are currently extrapolated from miner

data, which are at both higher doses and higher dose-

rates, so bystander effects on unhit cells could play a

large role in the extrapolation of risks from mines to

homes. Therefore, we extend an earlier quantitative

mechanistic model of bystander effects to include

protracted exposure, with the aim of quantifying the

significance of the bystander effect for very prolonged

exposures. MATERIALS AND METHODS: A model of high-LET

bystander effects, originally developed to analyse

oncogenic transformation in vitro, is extended to low

dose-rates. The model considers radiation response as a

superposition of bystander and linear direct e It

attributes bystander effects to a small subpopulation of

hypersensitive cells, with the bystander contribution

dominating the direct contribution at very low acute

doses but saturating as the dose increases. Inverse dose-

rate effects are attributed to the replenishment of the

hypersensitive subpopulation during prolonged

irradiation. RESULTS: The model was fitted to dose- and

dose-rate-dependent radon-exposed miner data, suggesting

that one directly hit target bronchio-epithelial cell

can send bystander signals to about 50 neighbouring

target cells. The model suggests that a naive linear

extrapolation of radon miner data to low doses, without

accounting for dose-rate, would result in an

underestimation of domestic radon risks by about a

factor of 4, a value comparable with the empirical

estimate applied in the recent BEIR-VI report on radon

risk estimation. CONCLUSIONS: Bystander effects

represent a plausible quantitative and mechanistic

explanation of inverse dose-rate effects by high-LET

radiation, resulting in non-linear dose-response

relations and a complex interplay between the effects of

dose and exposure time. The model presented provides a

potential mechanistic underpinning for the empirical

exposure-time correction factors applied in the recent

BEIR-VI for domestic radon risk estimation.