Re: Breast Cancer Study

Yes, John,

I believe that the Canadian women with breast fluorscopy had better care than

the general population - but had been worse in nutrition, exercise etc or would

not have gotten TB (which was declining in incidence before antibiotics).

However, my inferences about radiation effect are from Pollycove's graph

comparing mid-range with both higher and lower fluoroscopy exposures. They were

potentially different in other respects - a reason for placebo-controlled study.

Also you are correct, I think, in that British radiologists before 1950 were

different from those after in other ways than exposure (although Cameron makes

other good points there and his shipyard nuclear worker study is the most

impressive human hormesis study I've seen).

We still need a placebo-controlled study to be "definitive".

Howard Long