Re: 3 items of interest

on 7/7/02 2:34 PM, Norman Cohen at ncohen12@comcast.net wrote:

> From the know_nukes group:

> drkberg wrote:

>>  Three items from the news:

>> 1. more than 20,000 workers from USSR nuclear weapons facility at

>> Mayak/Cheljabinsk/ural have been identified and their health records

>> followed.

>> Professor M Skolonikov of Ozyorsk biophysical institute reported that

>> 2,600 have died of cancer, and that this represents 426 over

>> expected. He estimates that at least 50% of the excess 426 deaths are

>> due to over-exposure to radiation.

Not true according to the scientific literature, unless there's a large new

update, but there's NOT A SINGLE science paper in the biology and medicine

sciences literature by anyone by that name (even without beginning with an

"M" :-)

Of course this has nothing to do with low dose radiation health effects

since Mayak workers had dose to 100 rad per year for the first 5 years of

operation, and tens of rad per year for many years after that.

>> 2. Psychiatrist Julia Malova (Moscow scientific center) reported new

>> experience from observations of the tens of thousands of workers who

>> cleaned up after Chernobyl.

Of course. This has been stated here and elsewhere REPEATEDLY for more than

10 years. The workers (and members of the public) have substantial anxiety

and consequences. This including the killing of more than 100,000 fetuses as

direct consequence of the dishonest fraud that "rad is bad" by self-serving

government officials to terrorize these workers, and the public, including

throwing them out of their homes without cause at contamination levels far

below higher background areas of the world. This isn't just in the small

VERY HIGH background areas. This is at a level that is less than, e.g., just

the AVERAGE background of the entire country of Norway.

Consider also, that 10s of million of people PER YEAR get higher doses from

diagnostic medical treatments. THEY are NOT suffering from "psychological

consequences" from their radiation exposure.

And: only the workers in the first weeks had high radiation doses. There

were only worker 206 radiation injuries (workers hospitalized with "acute

radiation syndrome," mostly at rather trivial levels) all in the first

weeks. One of the reasons there were 600,000 workers is that they worked

under radiation control programs that limited personal exposures. The vast

majority do NOT have excessive radiation exposure.

>> These workers are suffering from "unexpected health problems", such

>> as degraded verbal ability, loss of memory, lessened ability to

>> concentrate, as well as combined with depressions.

Right. As above. The damage is not from radiation, it IS from radiation

protectionists. These are the ICRP-affiliated fear-mongers who terrorize the

workers about "dire consequences" and incessant studies and medical tests

(which we would not allow in studies of lab rats) to chase the public

welfare represented by LARGE FUNDING opportunities, including a small army

of US opportunists chasing a lot of money, handed to a highly selected group

of researchers, by DOE and other US agencies.

>> The two major reasons for death are blood circulation 48%, and

>> cancers 28%.

So what? Sounds about the same as the general population.

>> Onkologists at Kiev/Ukraina have tracked 17,000 workers and noted an

>> increased frequency of cancers, primarily stomach and lungs.

Got a study? Know the doses? If it's the 17,000 with the highest doses, it

is quite reasonable to expect an increase. Just like the Japanese a-bomb

survivors. But they do NOT have excess cancers at low doses. When it was

found that the a-bomb survivors had LESS cancer than the control group, the

US researchers changed the control group. When they reported 10 years ago

that there were about 500 excess cancers (think there were about 15,000

deaths in the population at the time, but I'd have to go back and check), it

was pointed out that the data showed that the high dose group, above 200 rad

(2 Gy), had about 600 excess cancers, while the group below 200 rad had a

DEFICIT of about 100 cancers compared to the lowest-dose group (what is now

called the "control group").  The RERF researchers again went back to their

pencils and adjusted the populations (added about 8,000 people to the a-bomb

survivors) and "re-analyzed the data" and now do not see this deficit.

>> 3. The number of children who developed thyroid cancer is now quoted

>> as "approximately 2,000". Professor sir Dillway Williams from

>> Cambridge stated that a majority of these cases would have been

>> avoided if Soviet authorities had issued warnings regarding intake of

>> milk after the release of radioactivity.

Been reporting that now for several years.  And Prof Williams is EXACTLY

right (if he added exposed produce).

Even with NO EVACUATION,

in the face of a reactor core subject to 2 runaway chain reactions,

the first blowing the core through a 1,000 ton shield plug above the

reactor,

and the second in the elevated core because the water was draining from the

independent boiling water fuel tubes,

blowing the core apart,

producing large quantities of short-lived radionuclides,

and blowing the reactor core directly out of the superstructure buildings

into the environment,

and then for the graphite core to burn for 10 days in the open air,

it is ONLY PRESUMED to be due to ingesting local contaminated produce and

milk that there is a very small incidence of thyroid cancer.

And of course there is no long-term consequence to removal of the thyroid

for long life and good health, taking a thyroid hormone.

There is ONE death in an (low level) exposed child, which is said by Russian

medical authorities to be due to the failure by alcoholic parents to provide

medication following successful surgery.

>> Regards

>> Dr K

> --

> Coalition for Peace and Justice and the UNPLUG Salem Campaign; 321 Barr

> Ave., Linwood, NJ 08221; 609-601-8583 or 609-601-8537;

> ncohen12@comcast.net  UNPLUG SALEM WEBSITE:

> http://www.unplugsalem.org/  COALITION FOR PEACE AND JUSTICE WEBSITE:

> http://www.coalitionforpeaceandjustice.org   The Coalition for Peace and

> Justice is a chapter of Peace Action.

> "First they ignore you; Then they laugh at you; Then they fight you;

> Then you win. (Gandhi)

We're in the transition from "laugh at you" to "fight you." Winning will be

earlier rather than later. The anti-nukes are just shills and puppets for

the political initiatives of the ICRP/NCRP/EPA/DOE/NRC et al.

Regards, Jim Muckerheide