Re: Potassium cell study

This was answered:  To go further, ORNL removed the heavier 0.02% K-40

(along with the 6.9% K-41) in the calutrons. (This is easy to do, but not

cheap, because the low K weight makes a significant diff between 40 and 41

vs. 39.)  They did this in several campaigns. The last I heard about (not

confirmed) was a batch for Argonne in the mid-80s (for $75K).

Using K-39 instead of nat-K caused debility and death in organisms and

cells; addition of the separated K-40 to the K-39, or nat-K, resulted in

recovery of the organisms, as did addition of external rad sources to

supplement the missing essential K-40 radiation for biology functions.

Ionizing radiation is essential for biology to function. In the early 2oth

Century experiments such as dissecting a frog to provide access to the

heart, and after death (heart stopping after brain death), a drop of water

with radioactivity restarted the heart.

See also some of the relevant materials at Section

1.2.3 Secondary biogenic radiation: Ionizing radiation as essential to life:

http://cnts.wpi.edu/rsh/DD3/1.2.3.htm

Regards, Jim Muckerheide