Re: Cancer clusters

Right, Julian et al,

Selection of the unusual should not be applied as if usual, as with:

1. select cancer clusters (1 in every 20 "significant"!),

2. select periods of  "global warming" (it was warmer 1000 years ago),

3. select location of high home radon (Iowa's mean is USA's highest, so its

controls have MORE radon than 95% of USA counties - and LESS lung cancer,

although less radon than its Iowa cases) This "U" curve is not linear. Maybe

Iowa has too much radon (which Becker would dispute), but much of the USA may

need more, like fluoride or iodine.

 ALARA is needed for unwanted radiation or medicine. However, ALARA for

ionizing radiation, may also deprive, like a deficiency of sunshine or

vitamins. ALARA should be applied with more common sense.

Howard Long. (non-salaried epidemiologist)