RE: Cancer deficiency clusters

Philippe,

Thank you for the information.  I should mention one factor that may be

considered which may go to the question of bias.  A special medical history

was required of "radiation workers," and two questions concerned a history

of cancer or a family history of cancer.  If the response was "yes" to

either, physician was to review the record and, if necessary, the medical

information was sent to a review board to ensure that there was not any

additional risk dealing with radiation sources.  (Read this to mean "we will

not employ you to work around radioactive sources if there is a chance that

you will get cancer and sue us.")   My guess is that if one or more members

in a worker's family had leukemia, they were not hired to work in radiation

areas.

A very good review of bias in epidemiology can be found at

http://ipsapp002.lwwonline.com/content/getfile/64/48/19/fulltext.htm

I think the "health worker effect" should only be considered when you are

comparing some worker group with the general population.  This was a cohort

study of individuals doing the same types of work, except some where being

exposed to a "toxin," ionizing radiation.

-- John

John Jacobus, MS

Certified Health Physicist

3050 Traymore Lane