EMF exposure (898.4 MHz) does not increase lymphoma incidence in mice

A Radsafer kindly sent me ref. to the following in the upcoming Radiat. Res.

(sept. 2002, 158(3):357-364). I found the following in Medline (probably

posted during the last ten hours) - i suppose that some HTML code for the

mouse strain has been screwed up:

Long-Term Exposure of E&mgr;-Pim1 Transgenic Mice to 898.4 MHz Microwaves

does not Increase Lymphoma Incidence.

Utteridge TD, Gebski V, Finnie JW, Vernon-Roberts B, Kuchel TR.

Veterinary Services Division, Institute of Medical and Veterinary Science,

Gilles Plains, South Australia, 5086, Australia.

Utteridge, T. D., Gebski, V., Finnie, J. W., Vernon-Roberts, B. and Kuchel,

T. R. Long-Term Exposure of E&mgr;-Pim1 Transgenic Mice to 898.4 MHz

Microwaves does not Increase Lymphoma Incidence. Radiat. Res. 158, 357-364

(2002). A total of 120 E&mgr;-Pim1 heterozygous mice and 120 wild-type mice

were exposed for 1 h/day 5 days/week at each of the four exposure levels in

"Ferris-wheel" exposure systems for up to 104 weeks to GSM-modulated 898.4

MHz radiation at SARs of 0.25, 1.0, 2.0 and 4.0 W/kg. In addition, 120

heterozygous and 120 wild-type mice were sham-exposed; there was also an

unrestrained negative control group. Four exposure levels were used to

investigate whether a dose-response effect could be detected. Independent

verification confirmed that the exposures in the current study were

nonthermal.

There was no significant difference in the incidence of lymphomas between

exposed and sham-exposed groups at any of the exposure levels. A

dose-response effect was not detected. The findings showed that long-term

exposures of lymphoma-prone mice to 898.4 MHz GSM radiofrequency (RF)

radiation at SARs of 0.25, 1.0, 2.0 and 4.0 W/kg had no significant effects

when compared to sham-irradiated animals. A previous study (Repacholi et

al., Radiat. Res. 147, 631-640, 1997) reported that long-term exposure of

lymphoma-prone mice to one exposure level of 900 MHz RF radiation

significantly increased the incidence of non-lymphoblastic lymphomas when

compared to sham-irradiated animals.

Please comment!

Bjorn Cedervall     bcradsafers@hotmail.com

-----

PS.

>May I just point out that everyone who went through Physics

101 knows that EMF = ElectroMotive Force (!!!!)     :-))

---

I learned that in chemistry. We probably all see lots of such examples -

some more troublesome than others. Usually the context clarifies but it

would be nice if some Radsafers could explain the more unusual

abbreviations/acronyms - most people will probably kill a message they can't

classify within a few seconds.

----