Re:

At 02:38 PM 8/19/02 -0400, mlevita@mail.netvision.net.il wrote:

>Dear Colleagues;

>A 23 year old woman received 14.6 mc I-131 for hyperthyroidism.

>A few days later it became apparent that she had conceived one week before

>receiving the I-131.

>In other words the 14.6 mc were given in her 1-2 first weeks of pregnancy.

>She is now 5-6 weeks pregnant.

>Should abortion be considered in view of possible damage to the fetus ?

>Your fast opinion is very important.

>Thanks,

>Moshe Levita

>Ministry of Health, Israel

>mlevita@netvision.net.il

>Mobile: 972-64-266536

>http://mail2web.com/ .

>radsafe" (no quote marks) in the body of the e-mail, with no subject line.

>You can view the Radsafe archives at http://www.vanderbilt.edu/radsafe/

Dear Moshe:

No, an abortion is not necessary.  The embryo did not get a very large dose

of radiation, only about 3 rad, and the thyroid does not begin to

concentrate iodine until about 12 weeks.  Any damage done to an embryo that

young would result in embryonic death and resorption.  If the embryo is

still there, and the mother wants the baby, abortion is not indicated.  See

Stabin MG, Watson EE, Marcus CS, and Salk RD: Radiation dosimetry for the

adult female and fetus from I-131 administration in hyperthyroidism.  Jour.

Nucl. Med. 32:808-813, 1991, Table 3 p.810 especially.

Ciao, Carol

Carol S. Marcus, Ph.D., M.D.

<csmarcus@ucla.edu>