RE: "Reprocessing - nuclear waste- lunar" Why not here?

The shuttle could take about 27 tons of waste at a time and just drop it

off. But his statement, "NIMBY politics don't apply to the lunar surface at

this time and can be avoided in the future by good planning and negotiation

of beneficial use agreements" isn't true because:

1. The waste still has to be transported, and

2. The potential exists for the missile, shuttle, etc. to slam back into the

earth or explode above it.

That's why it doesn't pay to get into the "accommodation" game: Any time you

solve a perception issue, there will be another, just like the "Why?" game

with children. If it's a science/technology issue, it needs to be resolved.

It it's an emotional issue, explain it as best you can, and then just follow

the money.

Just because I may have a radiological "concern" about something doesn't

make it a problem. If I make it a problem, I become the problem. If I raise

the concern, I've done what I need to do. If it later becomes a problem, I

may be asked to contribute to the solution. Or not.

Just because we see a radwaste concern doesn't make it a problem. It becomes

a problem when the public says it's a problem. Just like nuclear power in

general. It becomes a problem when it gets dark and hot/cold in NY or CA.

Until then, it's a "concern." It's similar to the mosquito spraying in LA.

Environmentalists scream bloody murder until it hits home, then they don't

make a peep.

Just my trivial opinions, of course.

Jack Earley

Radiological Engineer