A clarification following John Jacobus's comments about my newsitem.

Dear Colleagues, I don't object to John Jacobus's comments but it

appears that he did not bother to read my letter to the BJR which was

readily available and compare its contents to the copy of the

original article which he has on hand. I suspect that most of the

readers of the news release are not as well informed as John Jacobus

is about radiation effects.  Most of the readers of the original

article probably did not study the data in Table 2 to see the good

news.

My letter to the BJR presented information not contained in the

original article on British  radiologists. It is true that all the

data I presented were in the original Berrington et al article but

they  were ignored by the authors. They stated that there was no

evidence that radiation had an effect on any disease other than

cancer. They didn't mention that British radiologists who entered the

field from 1955 to 1979 had a non-cancer death rate 36% lower (i.e.,

they lived over three years longer P<0.001) than other male MDs in

England.  That sure looked like an effect on non-cancer to me. That

news was not mentioned in the Aug. 25, 2001 Lancet last year because

The Lancet commentator just read the conclusions and did not study

Table 2 to see the health improvement. I doubt if The Lancet

commentator will write another column pointing out the good news. (I

sent The Lancet a copy of my letter to the BJR so they would be aware

of the omission of the good news.) Perhaps no one wanted to criticize

an article with Sir Richard Doll as an author.

	The authors of the 100 years of British radiologists study

used the same trick as Matanoski in the narrative of the NSWS final

report where she reported that the nuclear workers had not suffered

any ill effects of radiation at "this time". She made no mention of

their improved health.  It is inappropriate to have good news in the

data and not mention it.

	Maybe John doesn't think that good news about radiation

should be mentioned. Why did no other person call this good news to

the attention of BJR readers during the last year?  it is significant

that the authors of the article chose not to rebut my comments. If

the British radiologists had clear health risks from radiation it

would have made the news.

	Best wishes, John Cameron

--

John R. Cameron (jrcamero@facstaff.wisc.edu)

2678 SW 14th Dr. Gainesville, FL 32608

(352) 371-9865 Fax (352) 371-9866

(winters until  about May  15)

PO Box 405, Lone Rock,WI 53556

(for UPS, etc. E2571 Porter Rd.)

(608) 583-2160; Fax (608) 583-2269

(summer: May 20, 2002- September 11,  2002)