Re: FYI: Global Education...

At 07:06 PM 08/31/2002 +0000, Bjorn Cedervall wrote:

>For those who are interested in more anti-radiation stuff:

>http://www.globaleduc.org/affiliates.htm

>A real expert teaches you about food irradiation, mammography "and all

>that". No - I didn't read every line.

Bjorn,

Interesting thread...my informal 'research' this weekend downwind of the

Diablo Canyon reactor (within 10 miles) showed background gamma radiation

(the probe was effectively shielded from alphas and betas inside the center

console of my Suburban) showed a HIGH reading of 12µR/hr averaged over 15

minutes. Most periods were 9µR/hr. The high points were not close to the

reactor, but were at higher altitudes ~~ 1 mile ~~ and near the San Andreas

fault with lots of exposed rock. Surprised? Not me anymore.

So where are all these illegal releases that we've heard about? Certainly

with the demand for electricity this weekend in LA (record demand) Diablo

Canyon was working hard. I think real time rad monitors on the Web might do

something to assuage fears. Isn't there a network like that around Three

Mile Island now?

As to all these sincere, well-researched sites on the Web, it is a big

problem. Could some HP group put up a similar site countering these?

As to the Global Education site, that one was pretty transparent as the

usual "follow the money" rule took us to several organic farmers. Of course

they believe in what they're doing and believe it is right, but they have

money to gain if others believe it, too. Alas, there are few groups who

don't benefit from one view or the other.

Cheers,

Richard