Re: Animal radon studies

A good starting point would be the summary in BEIR IV.

http://books.nap.edu/books/0309037972/html/430.html#paget

op

Radiat Environ Biophys 2001 Dec;40(4):269-77

[]

A consistent two-mutation model of lung cancer for

different data sets of radon-exposed rats.

Bijwaard H, Brugmans MJ, Leenhouts HP.

National Institute for Public Health and the Environment

(RIVM), Bilthoven, The Netherlands.

Harmen.Bijwaard@RIVM.nl

A two-mutation carcinogenesis model, formulated in terms

of biologically motivated equations for mutation and

expansion steps, has been applied in a mechanistic

modelling of the lung cancer incidence in two large data

sets of rats exposed to radon, both separately and

jointly. Results indicate that (1) the equations

employed are able to provide an accurate description of

the separate data sets, (2) the parameters in the

equations take on similar values for both data sets, and

(3) it is possible to construct a consistent and well-

fitting solution for the joint data set. It proved not

to be necessary to take into account the effect of

uranium ore dust, administered to part of the data or

the different rat strains of the data sets. The joint

solution provides a firm basis to investigate the

effects of exposure, exposure rate and age at exposure

on cumulative incidence, excess relative risk and excess

absolute risk. For the same total exposure, cumulative

incidence reaches a maximum for exposure rates between 1

and 10 WLM per day. The so-called inverse-exposure-rate

effect acts for higher exposure rates. The influence of

age at exposure, however, seems to be even more

pronounced. Exposure at a young age leads to

considerably higher incidences than exposure at a later

age. Parameters derived in this study compare fairly

well with those derived for uranium miners, suggesting

that a consistent model description for the induction of

lung cancer by radon in rats and humans may be possible.