Re: "Overmatching" is an Oxymoron. DBPC May Force LNT Out

A new study of interest -

Am J Epidemiol 2002 Sep 15;156(6):548-55

Exposure to Residential Radon and Lung Cancer in Spain:

A Population-based Case-Control Study.

Barros-Dios JM, Barreiro MA, Ruano-Ravina A, Figueiras A.

Department of Preventive Medicine and Public Health,

School of Medicine, University of Santiago de

Compostela, Santiago de Compostela, Spain.

Although high radon concentrations have been linked to

increased risk of lung cancer by both experimental

studies and investigations of underground miners,

epidemiologic studies of residential radon exposure

display inconsistencies. The authors therefore decided

to conduct a population-based case-control study in

northwest Spain to determine the risk of lung cancer

associated with exposure to residential radon. The study

covered a total of 163 subjects with incident lung

cancer and a population sample of 241 cancer-free

subjects since 1992-1994. Odds ratios for radon were

estimated using logistic regression adjusted for sex,

age, lifetime tobacco use, family history, and habitat.

The adjusted odds ratios for the second, third, and

fourth quartiles of radon (breakpoints: 37.0, 55.2, and

148.0 Bq/m(3)) were 2.73 (95% confidence interval (CI):

1.12, 5.48), 2.48 (95% CI: 1.29, 6.79), and 2.96 (95%

CI: 1.29, 6.79), respectively. An additive synergic

effect between radon and tobacco was found. The results

from this study suggest that, even at concentrations far

below official guideline levels, radon may lead to a 2.5-

fold rise in the risk of lung cancer. Furthermore, the

synergy found between smoking and radon may prove useful

when it comes to drafting public health recommendations.