Re: "Overmatching" is an Oxymoron. DBPC May Force LNT Out

In a message dated 9/15/02 12:50:32 AM Mountain Daylight Time, epirad@mchsi.com writes:

The study
covered a total of 163 subjects with incident lung
cancer and a population sample of 241 cancer-free
subjects since 1992-1994. Odds ratios for radon were
estimated using logistic regression adjusted for sex,
age, lifetime tobacco use, family history, and habitat.

What was the percentage of smokers in their lung cancer cases?  In their cancer-free cases?  How about second-hand smoke exposure?

Perhaps I am missing something, but I cannot see how one can tease out the influence of radon on lung cancer in a smoker with lung cancer, or in a large number of smokers with lung cancer, or even in people with long-term exposure to second-hand smoke.  I can see how one could observe synergism, and synergism makes some mechanistic sense, but I don't see how the two effects can be separated.  Maybe I am being too simplistic, but this is where I get stuck with Field, et al.

Ruth Weiner, Ph. D.
ruthweiner@aol.com