                                               Subject:  Position at NYS Health Dept.

                      09/25/02 01:11 PM

                      Please respond to

                      rad_rap

Job Announcement

|----------------+--------------------------------------------------------|

| Title:         | Research Scientist II                                  |

|----------------+--------------------------------------------------------|

| Annual Rate:   | Salary is at the rate of: $50,399/yr                   |

|----------------+--------------------------------------------------------|

| Grade:         | G - 22                                                 |

|----------------+--------------------------------------------------------|

| Location:      | Center for Environmental Health                        |

|                | Bureau of Environmental Radiation Protection           |

|                | Troy, NY                                               |

|----------------+--------------------------------------------------------|

| Minimum        | A Bachelor in Science degree in: health physics,       |

| Qualifications:| nuclear engineering, a physical or natural science, or |

|                | one including or supplemented by 30 credit hours in one|

|                | or more of these fields; and a minimum of three years  |

|                | of full time experience in radiation protection or     |

|                | control, including experience in handling radioactive  |

|                | isotopes or radiation producing equipment. (Experience |

|                | limited to imaging of patients will not be considered  |

|                | qualifying). A Master's or Doctoral degree in health   |

|                | physics may be substituted for one or two years of the |

|                | required experience, respectively.                     |

|----------------+--------------------------------------------------------|

| Preferred      | Experience in radiological emergency preparedness, in  |

| Qualifications:| particular as it pertains to nuclear power plants.     |

|                | Experience in the development of plans and procedures  |

|                | to deal with radiological emergencies. Training and/or |

|                | experience with response to radiological incidents and |

|                | emergencies. Experience in the characterization and    |

|                | remediation of sites contaminated with radioactive     |

|                | materials Incumbent must be able to begin employment   |

|                | within thirty of a job offer.                          |

|----------------+--------------------------------------------------------|

| Responsibilitie| The incumbent would review and approve plans for       |

| s:             | cleanup of sites contaminated with radioactive         |

|                | material; would review licenses and inspect facilities |

|                | using radioactive materials; would provide training and|

|                | assistance to local health personnel and emergency     |

|                | responders in the investigation of radiation problems  |

|                | and emergencies. Would also give technical consultation|

|                | to Environmental Health Technicians engaged in         |

|                | environmental radiological surveillance activities; and|

|                | do work related to the selection, procurement and      |

|                | calibration of radiation detection instruments and     |

|                | inspection equipment. Would investigate accidents and  |

|                | emergencies and recommend appropriate action and       |

|                | enforcement when indicated, and provide consultation   |

|                | and assistance to local health departments on more     |

|                | complex aspects of radiological health programs.       |

|----------------+--------------------------------------------------------|

| Conditions of  | Grant funded position                                  |

| Employment:    |                                                        |

|----------------+--------------------------------------------------------|

| Application    | Resume must be received by 10/4/02. Please use code    |

| Procedure:     | T324RP when responding. Resume can be e-mailed to      |

|                | HRI-mailin@health.state.ny.us with a subject line      |

|                | T324RP or mailed to Health Research, Inc., One         |

|                | University Place, Rensselaer, NY 12144-3455 (applicants|

|                | must include a return address and the reference code   |

|                | T324RP on the outer envelope).                         |

| Re-Issued:     | 9/20/02                                                |

             AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER

          NO PHONE CALLS, ELECTRONIC INQUIRIES, OR FAXES ACCEPTED

                              www.hrinet.org

This email was sent to: cac04@health.state.ny.us