RE: cosmic rays

This came out as part of a project daily question today. A little math. . .

.

"Cosmic radiation is ionizing radiation that originates from outer space.

The earth's atmosphere and magnetic fields protect us from most cosmic

radiation. At higher elevations there is less atmospheric shielding so the

dose from cosmic radiation is higher than at sea level. The annual cosmic

radiation dose at sea level is about 28 mrem, while in Leadville, Co.,

elevation 10,500 ft., the annual cosmic radiation dose is about 125 mrem.

Cosmic radiation also produces radionuclides in the atmosphere, such as

tritium, beryllium-7, carbon-14, and sodium-22. (Environmental

Radioactivity, 3rd edition, Merril Eisenbud, Academic Press)"

Jack Earley

Radiological Engineer