RE: Transport of a Self-Contained Irradiator

Radsafers:

For some reason, my posts take hours to hit the Radsafe list.  I corrected my original post from this morning, and three hours later still have not seen it on Radsafe. Meanwhile Chris' post hit the list. My second post answers a lot of Chris' questions, but upon reflection, I see I could provide all of you a little more guidance. Thus a third post.

Chris is correct - many irradiators are designed to be US DOT 2R specification containers. Note that 49CFR178.360 specifically calls the 2R container an "inside containment vessel". A 2R container must still go in an overpack container.  The overpack can be any other specification container (7A, 20WC, etc.) but it depends on the nuclide's form (special/normal) and activity (A1/A2 quantity limitations).  A small irradiator may be designed as a 2R container, and could go in a 7A container, such as a steel drum.  The larger irradiators, such as a blood irradiator, typically go into a 20WC or 21WC.  These latter containers are quite large, and expensive to build, especially the 21WC. All specification containers require certification (Are you shipping waste in a steel drum? You are supposed to have the drum certification on file.)

Shepherd has built 20/21WC containers which fit their irradiators and had them certified for different irradiator configurations.  I suggested that if Wesley could find a specification container that fits his irradiator, he might be able to use the Shepherd certifications.  This is analogous to a university reusing an Amersham 7A box to ship a research nuclide to another university.  It is legal to reuse the box if: 1) the box certification is on file; 2) the content configuration and closing devices are the same as stated on the certification; and 3) the box is not compromised.  The trick is getting hold of the certification.  Some manufacturers will not give out the certification. I am not sure if you can obtain the certification through the DOT/NRC, as I've never tried that route.

Wesley's post did not indicate what irradiator he has, but if it is a smaller one (such as an instrument calibrator) he may be able to simply put it in a steel drum (it likely will need bracing). If it is a larger one that he plans to transport frequently, which his post sort of indicates, I might consider building or buying a 20/21WC.

Chris is not suggesting it in his post, but I thought his post could be interpreted to say that you might have to remove the irradiator's source(s). NEVER, ever remove them unless you really know what you are doing and are authorized to remove them.

Larry Grimm, Senior HP

UCLA EH&S/ Radiation Safety Division

*	lgrimm@admin.ucla.edu   Phone:310/206-0712   Fax: 310/206-9051

Cell: 310/863-5556  Pager:1-800-233-7231ext93569

*	On Campus: 501 Westwood Plaza, 4th Floor, MS 951605

*	Off Campus: UCLA Radiation Safety Div, 501 Westwood Plaza 4th

Fl, Box 951605, Los Angeles, CA 90095-1605

*	If this email is not RSD business, the opinions are mine, not

UCLA's.