Re: "Limit to Survival - Effect of Radiation

Jim.

Actually, you demand that we believe you, even if the evidence is not

compeling.  In science, it is not usual for data to be equivocal.  It is

certainly possible that low levels of radiation may produce a hormetic

effect, but how do you measure it?  If a certain cell type or biochemical

response is increased, does that produce an overall positive effect.  Even

the Calabrese and Baldwin article noted that

"despite the recognition that hormetic  responses are common and similar in

susceptible and resistant organisms there are sufficient examples indicating

that some strains/individuals may lack the capacity to produce the low-dose

stimulatory response. Thus, the capacity to display hormetic effects is one

of a variety of factors affecting differential susceptibility to xenobiotics

and needs to be addressed within the hazard assessment process."

I believe what this means is that while yeast are resistant to high

radiation, man may not be resistant.  It also says that some human

populations may be resistant to a type of cancer while others may not.  I

believe that is true for breast with the Japanese v. non-Japanses

populations.  If I am wrong, I am sure someone will provide the corrrect

information.

Another important  consideration (at least to me) was if any studies were

done on patients treated with radiation for gas gangene to determine if they

had a higher incident of cancer in later years?  In medicine,  the immediate

results of treatments are reported.  Seldom are long term follow-ups for

other conditions made.

By the way, Jim, you never did provide me with any references on the K-40

deficient cell studies.  Again, what people say does not the same validaty

as what is written in the scientific literature.  Don't you agree?

Have a good weekend.

-- John

John Jacobus, MS

Certified Health Physicist

3050 Traymore Lane

Bowie, MD 20715-2024

jenday1@email.msn.com (H)

Jim Muckerheide wrote:

. . .

Unlike BEIR/NCRP we don't ask/expect you to believe us. We ID credible

science and sources you can read yourself! (At least you can read. We're not

too sure about John. :-)

. . .