Re: ALARA?

My mistake; I thought the reason might have had something to do with science.
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Saturday, October 05, 2002 5:04 PM
Subject: Re: ALARA?

Jerry,

There are so many good answers to that I don't know where to start, but I'll try a few.

1.  Equal dose could mean equal work time, which could mean equal overtime, which could mean equal pay within the involved craft, which means no grievances get filed because one worker is making more money than another.
2.  It's one of the principles of democracy.  Noone should be picked on (receive more exposure) than anyone else.  If the workers believe in LNT, it also means equal opportunity and the same shot at life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness (which may relate to the equal work paycheck again.)
3.  Again, if you believe in LNT, one person getting more exposure means a higher risk of "bad" effects.  Now there's a grievance situation if ever there was one.
4.  Based on hormesis, noone should get a higher exposure than others, because that person would be healthier than the rest of his coworkers, and that's not "fair".  Another grievance situation.
5 "All things" being equal means, by definition, that dose is equal - it's one of those "things."

You see, it's not based on the actual effect of the exposures, which are inconsequential in most cases.  It is based on, "Daddy, how come Johnny got more potatoes and gravy than I did?"

Les Aldrich, CHP
laldrich@gte.net