GM Scaler Help Summary

The following is a summary of the information I received. The problem was solved for Lewis & Clark College by William Nabor at University of California, Irvine. The had one of these units on a back shelf that they had no use for, and have volunteered to ship it to L&C.

Ludlum 2000 seems to be the least expensive workhorse counter; it runs about $1250.

Spectrum Techniques has the people who were at The Nucleus. They make a direct successor to The Nucleus Model 500-550, and they are compatible with PCs through an interface. They have a set of absorbers in the cabinet, and look more like a classroom instrument. The prices are in the $690 to 750 range. This looks like a good instrument to use with the Cs-137 cows for high school and college introductory courses.

Several people have inoperable units that they are saving for spare parts to keep some of the units working. I have been offered parts if our shop can determine what specific ones are needed.

I thank the list for all the help. It looks like the best possible solution to Lewis & Clark's problem.

Michael A. Kay, ScD, CHMM
makay@alum.mit.edu