Box Irradiator Calibration IAW ANSI N323A-1997

We are currently use R chambers to calibrate our Shepherd box irradiators.

It appears that ANSI N323A-1997 only allows use of box irradiators for

calibrating

portable instruments as long as you use the same model portable instrument

as

a transfer standard to calibrate the box.  ANSI N323A-1997 states:

...Instruments may be calibrated in nonuniform fields (e.g., box

   calibrators) by

using an instrument of the same model as a transfer, thus transferring the

calibration from a uniform irradiation geometry (free-in-air) to the

   nonuniform

geometry... (Section 6.1)

It appears that there could be significant instrument calibration errors

depending

on the differences between R-chambers and the portable instrument's

casing/detector/geometry that are being calibrated in the box irradiator.

Has anyone quantified what these calibration errors may be for various

portable

instruments in a Shepherd Model 89 Box Irradiator (e.g., RO-2/RO-7s,

Teletectors, AMP-100/APMP-200s, E520/E530Ns, RMS-2s, etc.)?

   John M. Sukosky

   Dominion