Re: Glass-Based Radon Measurements

John,

Both the RR and the case and control numbers, from which I get the OR, come

from the same lines in the Table. As I understand it, the Bq/m3 are the

average over a 32 year assessment for both.

I have an idea of what happened. Its only a guess, but here goes:

It looks like the authors fitted their data to a linear excess risk model

and calculated a single excess risk per 100 Bq/m3 for the entire data set.

They then applied that value to the radon levels in each category. In other

words, the reported RR for a category has nothing to do with the data in the

category, but is a forced lineraization of the entire data set.

The casual reader looks at the RR values vs. radon concentration categories

and concludes: "Ooooo, look at what a nice, smooth, increasing function the

RR makes with radon levels!", when in fact these attributes are mathematical

artifacts and the raw odds don't support that conclusion.

Anyway, I'm not trying to convince anyone. Everyone can read the paper at:

http://www.nature.com/cgi-taf/DynaPage.taf?file=/jea/journal/v12/n5/full/750

0236a.html&filetype=pdf

(free registration required) and come up with their own explanations, or

they can Email the authors.

Best Regards,

Kai