RE: United Way Supports Anti-Nukes

I hesitate to mention it.  But a scandal of a few years ago was that the

United Way was not, in fact honoring their donor's wishes.  That is if a

donor said they wanted 100% of their donation to go to the American Red

Cross the following happened.  If ARC was in UW's opinion or intention to

get either 1% of total contributions or say $1M, the contributions of our

ARC friend would be applied to ARC and subtracted from the total dollars

allocated and the none ear marked donations would them be split up according

to UW's master plan so the ARC would be no better off because their friends

had designated all or part of their contributions go to them.

I am unsure if this was the whole US United Way or a Regional subdivision

possibly just Colorado but my impression was it was either national or a

major region.

United Way's image was greatly tarnished by that and the concurrent issue of

the Director's compensation and perks.  Those two scandals led to a dramatic

decline in contributions for at least a couple of years.

Sorry doesn't have much to do with the main issue.

Peter Vernig

VAMC Denver