Re: Article: High Security Trips Up Some Irradiated Patients, Doctors Say

This may be of help:

My two hip prostheses set off the metal detector at every airport on every single trip I have taken since the security forces were federalized (before that, detectors at certain airports, like Reagan National, were set off).  That's about one round trip every three weeks.  I carry a card signed by my surgeon.  What happens after the detector "beeps" is that the security person looks at the card, pats me down front and back (and they are very courteous and careful), checks my shoes, gives me back my carry-on stuff, and I'm on my way.  With an occasional wait for the wanding and pat-down, this can add about 15 to 20 minutes to the time from arrival at the airport to arrival at the gate.  I DO NOT OBJECT TO THIS PROCEDURE AT ALL.  I understand the need for it and just allow the time.

I think that, for patients treated with radionuclides, a letter or some kind of standard card signed by a physician would eventually help a lot.  Moreover, as security procedures are implemented with more and more people, setting off a radiation detector because of medical treatment will become more common (just as detecting people with metal prostheses, like me, has become more common).

I really wonder about the Manhattan subway stop incident.  We had a somewhat similar incident reported by an Albuq. Journal columnist, as having been told to him by the "victim", and it sounded so hokey and contained such questionable detail that I wrote to the journalist that I just didn't believe it.  Moreover, I ride the Washington DC Metro and bus system a lot when I am in DC, and I have never either been searched or seen anyone stopped and searched for any reason, though I have seen panhandlers hustled off cars, for which I am grateful.

Ruth

Ruth Weiner, Ph. D.
ruthweiner@aol.com