Re: Security Screening Technique

I can't speak for all field portable spectrometers.  The one I am

familiar, with XRF Corporation's ICS-4000, has a FWHM at Cs137 of 10 keV

@ 662 keV  (about 1.5%) and a lower level noise of less than 10 keV.

The library includes medical, industrial and special nuclear materials.

In fact their are about 160 isotopes in the library.  Many of these are

very specialized.  For example nuclear power plant applications for the

spectrometer involve many isotopes with very short half lives that

wouldn't be encountered outside a power plant.  The isotopes more

commonly used are all available in the library and in "point and shoot

mode" the spectrometer is able to identify micro curie quantities of

these isotopes, whether medical, industrial, norm or whatever

simultaneously in just a few seconds.

I don't often talk about the ICS-4000 on the list because it isn't the

right place to market products, but I think it is on point regarding

this thread to talk about the technical capabilities of the instrument.

Regards,.

Tom Hazlett

XRF Corporation