Hypotheses, Theories and LNT

We often see abuse of scientific terms, but I did not know things were as bad as this:

<Of course, what is a hypothesis anyway, but a theory.>

An excellent explanation of these important terms is found at http://www.wilstar.net/theories.htm, from which I will quote relevant portions below. Note that in applying these terms correctly, it makes no sense to speak of LNT 'theory'. LNT was never more than a convention; although it is frequently a hypothesis.

Quotes from the referenced web site follow:
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Scientific Laws, Hypotheses, and Theories

           Lay people often misinterpret the language used by scientists. And for that reason, they
           sometimes draw the wrong conclusions as to what the scientific terms mean.

           Three such terms that are often used interchangeably are "scientific law," "hypothesis," and
           "theory."

           In layman's terms, if something is said to be 'just a theory,' it usually means that it is a mere
           guess, or is unproved. It might even lack credibility. But in scientific terms, a theory implies
           that something has been proven and is generally accepted as being true.

           Here is what each of these terms means to a scientist:

           Scientific Law: This is a statement of fact meant to explain, in concise terms, an action or
           set of actions. It is generally accepted to be true and universal, and can sometimes be
           expressed in terms of a single mathematical equation. Scientific laws are similar to
           mathematical postulates. They don't really need any complex external proofs; they are
           accepted at face value based upon the fact that they have always been observed to be
           true.

           Some scientific laws, or laws of nature, include the law of gravity, the law of
           thermodynamics, and Hook's law of elasticity.

           Hypothesis: This is an educated guess based upon observation. It is a rational
           explanation of a single event or phenomenon based upon what is observed, but which has
           not been proved. Most hypotheses can be supported or refuted by experimentation or
           continued observation.

           Theory: A theory is more like a scientific law than a hypothesis. A theory is an explanation
           of a set of related observations or events based upon proven hypotheses and verified
           multiple times by detached groups of researchers. One scientist cannot create a theory; he
           can only create a hypothesis.

           In general, both a scientific theory and a scientific law are accepted to be true by the
           scientific community as a whole. Both are used to make predictions of events. Both are
           used to advance technology.

           The biggest difference between a law and a theory is that a theory is much more complex
           and dynamic. A law governs a single action, whereas a theory explains a whole series of
           related phenomena.
           copied portion is with permission of author, Copyright © 2000 by Jerry Wilson.

Mark G. Hogue, CHP
mark.hogue@srs.gov
"But we surely overrate the usefulness of what we like to call "stimulation" and underrate the need for time, peace of mind, mature reflection." -  Susan Haack

"DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed are mine and do not necessarily represent Westinghouse Savannah River Co. or the United States Department of Energy."

"Jacobus, John (NIH/OD/ORS)" <jacobusj@ors.od.nih.gov>
Sent by: owner-radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu

01/02/03 12:36 PM
Please respond to "Jacobus, John (NIH/OD/ORS)"