From: mark.hogue@SRS.GOV [mailto:mark.hogue@SRS.GOV]
Sent: Friday, January 03, 2003 7:20 AM
To: radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu
Cc: jenday1@MSN.COM
Subject: Hypotheses, Theories and LNT

We often see abuse of scientific terms, but I did not know things were as bad as this:

<Of course, what is a hypothesis anyway, but a theory.>

An excellent explanation of these important terms is found at http://www.wilstar.net/theories.htm, from which I will quote relevant portions below. Note that in applying these terms correctly, it makes no sense to speak of LNT 'theory'. LNT was never more than a convention; although it is frequently a hypothesis.

. . .