RE: Apparent anti-correlations between geographic radiation and cancer are not surprising

Ted,

Very true comments.  That is why I try to view the cellular biology from the

analysis of organisms and populations, and why we should be careful in

applying scientific studies to regulations.  It is fascinating and true that

genetic and cellular damage can be demonstrated, and may provide clues the

genesis of cancers and other malignancies.  However, it must be remembered

that while cells are complex, they are being experimented on in isolation.

Frequently, the exposure risks never seem to work their way into more

complex, organizied organisms.  Reasons are probably related to latency,

cell death, etc.  To me, this is why the epidemiology data has a tough time

detecting cancers from exposure predictions.  I think you will see the type

of response, cellular v. epidemiological, with a lot of chemical

carcinogens.

-- John

John P. Jacobus, MS

Certified Health Physicist

e-mail:  jenday1@msn.com

The comments presented are mine and do not reflect the opinion of my

employer or spouse.