Re: Apparent anti-correlations between geographic radiation and cancer are no...

 howard long <hlong@pacbell.net> wrote:

JJ,
Please correct the p on Cameron's analysis at the below reference (which you must not have read) to 0.0001 that life expectancy was much better for workers exposed than for those not exposed.
 . . .

Howard,

I do not know what you mean that I should "correct" the p value.  Do you mean I should consider the p-value?  Actually, Dr. Cameron claims that the p-value is p<10^ -16 .  This sounds like an exordinary value.  I would use the word "unrealistic," but I do not know if that was a typographical error or not. I based this comment on never having seen such a claim in any publication.  Have you ever heard of such a p-value? (I believe that extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof.)

What you, and John Cameron, leave out is that there is no statistical difference between those exposed at > 5 mSv (500 mrem) and those exposed to > 5 mSv.  My understanding is that in evaluating risk in the workplace, it is necessary to consider those who are exposed to the toxin at various levels, rather than making a comparison with those never exposed.  (Again, this for an analysis of workplace exposures only, which this study considers, not for a comparison with the general population.)  As I read the review by the author, who is not John Cameron, which appeared in Radiation Research, 133, 126-127 (1993),  further investigation needed to be focused on the variations in jobs and other shipyard (non-radiation) exposure or non-job-related risk factors . . ."

It is interesting that all groups who worked in the shipyard, exposed and non-exposed to radiation, had lower risks than the general population.  Maybe that should tell you something about the subject population also.

-- John
John Jacobus, MS
Certified Health Physicist
e-mail: crispy_bird@yahoo.com