Re: Semantics and nit-picking [was:Re: Apparent anti-correlations betweengeographic radiation .......]

What you call "nit-picking semantics" can be  viewed by us anal-retentives as spin and manipulation. It gives the false impression that somehow radioactivity is uniquely hazardous. Such manipulation has, for example,  provided the basis for the multi-billion dollar nuclear waste government/industry complex which will squander vast amounts of our limited wealth to solve a relatively minor problem. Semantics can be a powerful tool for either good or evil!
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Monday, January 13, 2003 12:49 PM
Subject: Semantics and nit-picking [was:Re: Apparent anti-correlations betweengeographic radiation .......]

At 11:12 AM 1/13/2003 -0800, Jerry Cohen wrote:
Doug,
    I am curious. How do you "definitively prove there is no risk involved" in any activity or enterprise? Could you please give us a few examples of no-risk activities?            Jerry

OK, Jerry:
I give up:
Can't you get past nit-picking semantics?

I joined this forum recently to improve my (admittedly superficial) knowledge of radiation physics.

I seem to have fallen into a nest of anal-retentive people trying to give me a lesson in risk .....

I understand the need for careful validation of any statistical data in a scientific study. But if you guys keep beating on me for my obviously "critically flawed" statements of a general nature, how do you handle things when dealing with the general public?

Is this attitude meant to push out people who don't meet your lofty standards from the group??? Don't bother to reply; I am going back into lurk mode so I don't offend your sensibilities any more

PS: To Radsafers: I apologize for this outburst, which I should have sent directly to Jerry, but as these mails keep coming, I am hoping to kill this off once and for all......

Doug Aitken             Schlumberger Drilling and Measurements QHSE Advisor
Phone (Sugarland):      281 285-8009
Phone (Home office):    713 797-0919
Phone (Cell):           713 562-8585
        Principal E-mail: jdaitken@earthlink.net