RE: Apparent anti-correlations between geographic radiation and cancer are no...

At 09:11 AM 1/10/2003 -0500, BERNARD L COHEN wrote:
> 4: Common sense would tend to argue against exposure to any quantity of
> man-made agent - in whatever quantity - which has known adverse effects.

        --Get real. Every human activity causes exposure to such agents.
Fossil fuel burning causes air pollution -- should we stop burning fossil
fuels? Transportation causes deaths in accidents -- should we all stay
home all the time?

I guess I should have expressed myself a little better. Of course I am not advocating quivering in fear under the blankets (although very many people die in bed, so perhaps they should not get under the blankets...).

But unnecessary or deliberate exposure to hazardous agents - where the risk-benefit balance is not clear (and in this I guess I would throw man-made radiation) - would seem to be unwise.

Then again, consider the "science" of homeopathy: the deliberate exposure to a minute quantity of a hazardous agent with the (hoped for) effect of triggering the bodies defense mechanisms. I suppose there is a certain parallel with the concept of hormesis.

Regards
Doug Aitken             Schlumberger Drilling and Measurements QHSE Advisor
Phone (Sugarland):      281 285-8009
Phone (Home office):    713 797-0919
Phone (Cell):           713 562-8585
        Principal E-mail: jdaitken@earthlink.net