Re: The value(?) of the Nuclear Shipyard Workers Study (NSWS)

Dan,

I would be willing to bet a dollar that there are relatively few nuclear

shipyards in Arizona or in the other low cancer plains states shown in:

http://www.dceg.cancer.gov/cgi-bin/atlas/mapview2?direct=acccwm70

If that is the case and most of the shipyards are in fact in the high cancer

coastal regions, then an SMR of 1.0 would actually show a healthy worker

effect. The mortality ratio should not be compared to a national average,

but rather to the regional rates.

Were there any identifiable demographic differences between the NWs and

NNWs? The mortality ratio is the dependent variable. To identify an

abnormality in the dependent variable (absence of a healthy worker effect)

is important, but it is only 1/2 the job. The other 1/2 is to figure out (or

at least identify possibilities of) what in the independent variable

(demographics, other occupational exposures...) caused the abnormality.

Best Regards,

Kai