Re: Dosimeters and airport security

As I read the responses from my colleagues in the US I am struck by just how fundamental the differences can be between countries.  In my response earlier I indicated that I would recommend the use of 'double badges'.  The main reason for this is that in the UK it is the responsibility of the employer of the 'radiation worker' to measure and record his or her dose.  It is interesting for me to note therefore that in the US the responsibility lies with the site/facility to measure the dose of those persons working in their plant/facility with radiation.

This is why in the UK your legal dosimeter is the one issued by YOUR employer.  One of the reasons for issuing a second dosimeter to personnel from other employers is to ensure that the site/facility can monitor dose uptake for all persons working on the site and to be able to accurately assess the sites collective dose during each reporting period.  I do wonder (like others on the list) how accurate an individuals dose assessment can be if the work frequently at different sites.  IMHO the use on dosimeter, with appropriate control dosimetry e.g. electronic instant readout devices, will give a more accurate long term measure of an individuals external exposure.  There are issues with the differences in background dose and how this should be accounted for if individuals work at different facilities.  This is sometimes where the third dosimeter may be used.  However this is not a common occurrence in the UK, it is used mainly when personnel go abroa! d.  Many of the contractors in the UK use the National Radiological Protection Board in the Uk as their dosimetry service.  This organisation has produced generic background data for most areas in the UK and this data is used when accounting for background.  I'm not sure that there will be a significant difference in natural background doserates in the UK in the vicinity of most major nuclear facilities, am I right to assume, from Sandy's comments, that this is not necessarily true of the US?

The other issue that appears to have been raised is the responsibility of the licensee in the US to monitor and therefore presumably control each individuals exposure.  This appears to be the concern that other radsafe'rs have about someone other than the licensee, undertaking the dose assessment for personnel working at their facility.  In the UK the responsibility for maintaining each individuals exposure ALARA (ALARP for the UK as defined in our regulations) is that of the radiation employer.  The radiation employer is the person who owns and controls the radiation controlled area.  So when a contractor is employed, if they have radiation workers, the contractor as the  employer is responsible for the provision of (amongst other things) that individuals dosimetry.  When they work in someone's else's facility the Radiation employer is responsible for maintaining their dose as ALARA.  However in addition there are formal requirements for Co-! operation between employers enshrined in UK law as well.

When contract personnel go to work on a different site they are required to carry with them and present to the site/facility operator a Radiation Passbook, this summarises that individuals dose that they have accrued up to the point where they last worked with radiation.  When they cease employment at a site/facility the operator of the site is required to update that individuals passbook ready for when the next commence work.

I hope this is of interest and clarifies the difference between UK requirement and those in the US and explains why the advice I gave initially differed so significantly from that proved by other list members.

Regards,
       Julian