RE: Dosimeters and airport security - Relative Response of dosimeters

Rob is quite accurate in his assessment. Depending on the standard

followed, country processed in, the Ck (dose conversion factors) are

all different. In the past, NVLAP used ANSI N13.11-1993 and Handbook

150 to assess dose. NVLAP now uses ANSI N13.11-2001. DOELAP used EH-

0026 and EH-0027 to assess dose. The dose calculated using the same

badge in the same area at the same time would result in a different

dose assessment and official dose record. In the USA we calculate

DDE, SDE and LDE. In many of the European countries, they calculate

Hp(d) and Hp(s). They don't calculate lens dose equivalent.

Algorithms are unique to each processor and the method of processing

is always different. QA/QC programs are different (I conduct NVLAP on-

site assessments) and have never seen any consistency.

In conclusion, dose is not dose. Double badging and you have a real

mess on your hands!

Sandy Perle

Director, Technical

ICN Worldwide Dosimetry Service

ICN Plaza, 3300 Hyland Avenue

Costa Mesa, CA 92626

Tel:(714) 545-0100 / (800) 548-5100  Extension 2306

Fax:(714) 668-3149

E-Mail: sandyfl@earthlink.net

E-Mail: sperle@icnpharm.com

Personal Website: http://sandy-travels.com/